Welcome to Rail World!
Support continued Rail World development: Donate via PayPal. You can also support development by contributing maps, code updates, or just feature ideas.
The current version of Rail World is 0.9a, release 2 May 2010. For a list of changes, see the ChangeLog.
Version 0.9a is an interim release as the mission system is being built. In particular, high score tracking is integral component which has not yet been started.
About Rail World
Rail World is a railroad train simulation game designed to bring the features of model railroading to the desktop. Rail World allows you to:
- Use actual aerial photographs or satellite images as the basis for maps.
- Manage multiple trains as a conductor.
- Control trains with signals.
- Drive trains using throttle and brake as an engineer.
- Grapple with realistic physics, including stopping distance and collisions.
- Set switches and specific train routing.
- Load and unload cargo.
- Use a variety of programmable signals.
- Participate in challenging score-based missions.
Rail World includes both the play module and a complete map editor.
Rail World requires Java 6. Rail World is released under the GNU GPL; the full source code can be downloaded, as well as a ready-to-run JAR file for those who just want to play. You can also play via an applet!
If you have heard of or played the similar games Yard Duty or Freight Yard Manager, you might be interested in the differences that set Rail World apart.